Projects of G. Oprescu Institute
BARBU BREZIANU CENTER FOR STUDIES ON BRANCUSI
In 2008 our institute received the testamentary donation of Barbu
Brezianu (1909-2007), a renowned Brancusi expert. Art historian, a former
member of IAH, Barbu Brezianu authored, among other reference works, an
extended catalogue of Brancusi’s sculptures that are in Romania.
The donation includes Barbu Brezianu’s rich art library, focused on Brancusi
and the international sculpture of the 20th century, as well as his private
archive: correspondence with numerous foreign art historians and collectors,
research notes concerning topics he has studied for a lifetime, photographs, audio recorded interviews etc.
Donation items were inventoried in 2009 by the
staff of the Department for Modern Art and Architecture. In the same year was
founded the Barbu Brezianu Center for Studies on Brancusi. The
center aims to promote new reflection on Brancusi and on the classical
modernism in 20th century art, to highlight Barbu Brezianu’s contribution in
the field of Romanian art and its European connections, to guide young
researchers engaged in the study of Brancusi work.